Saturday, January 24, 2015

I texted my friend T. this morning:

"Wanna come to dinner tonight?"

I hadn't yet had coffee; in fact, I was still enjoying my Saturday morning in my bed.

He immediately called me:

"Did you invite me over for shingles?"

"Shingles?!"

"I don't have my glasses on, and I guessed shingles."

"No! Bingo! I invited you over for bingo!"

"Wingnuts?"

"No! I said swing dancing!"

"SWING DANCING?!!" What time?"

"Seven. And there will also be dinner. See you then."

I like to call this intentional mishearing, or creative misinterpretation. It drives my kids crazy and they insist I need a hearing aid, when, in fact, I've heard them just fine. I love these little verbal jazz riffs! In any case, I started my morning with a hearty laugh, and can't think of a better way to begin my weekend. (But, alas, there will be no bingo, or swing dancing, and absolutely no shingles.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, my wife and I play this game.... it's one thing that really makes her laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I play this game with one of my oldest friends. As we've gotten older, we've gotten better and better at it, too.

    ReplyDelete