The hottest day of the year and I spent many hours in the kitchen. Have to get my cooking fix!
1. The day began with bacon jam: easy, a couple of hours simmering on the stovetop, a little puree action in the cuisinart, et voila! Sweet, salty, smoky, spicy. The four essential "S's".
2. Moving right along to Connie's Kale: finely chopped kale "massaged" with salt, tossed with apple, pine nuts, gorgonzola + a cider vinaigrette.
3. Dill pickles. Hot water bath. Hot kitchen.
4. Three kinds of "Vin Maison": apricot, blackberry, peach. They should be ready in about a month:
5. Oh yes, dinner: marinated potato and green bean salad, grilled Lummi Island salmon. Yellow jackets on the prowl.
6. Blackberry crisp, a dollop of whipped cream. (Pinch of cinnamon.)
I don't know what culinary muse took hold of me today, but it was really waaaay too hot to be doing what I did.