Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Knife Edges

Winter seems to have doubled back on itself, dark and pelting rain tonight. We're in the limbo-land of teasing, turbulent March weather, as untrustworthy as a bad husband.

I've spent many hours with 3 different people in hospitals the past seven days, an up/down elevator of emotions and stomach-flipping uncertainties. When we love our friends/family intensely, these fears are magnified, set up before us keen and raw, knife edges flashing. And I believe in keeping my knives sharp.

In the midst of this chaos, I found out that a poetry zine took five of my poems. Five! I'll say that's a record haul for me.

And for the first time in all my years, winter has proved a fertile time for poem-making. It's an unexperienced and heady surprise — most of my writing, historically, has followed the growing season. But something is afoot at the moment, and I'm riding a wave that doesn't seem to want to break, barely balancing I am but balancing nonetheless, the water just ahead churning up a blue froth that keeps advancing into the distance.


6 comments:

  1. This post is poetry. And congratulations on the upcoming publication -- please give us links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the 'Stream of Consciousness' has forgotten to ebb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I share your feelings about hospitals. I've spent too much time in them this past year.

    Congrats on the poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, a creative wave -- ride, Lady, ride!

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post IS poetry, T (& Elizabeth) - love your line '. . . turbulent March weather, as untrustworthy as a bad husband.'

    Sorry to hear about the hospital visits, T, with the fears and uncertainties. LIfe's strange juxtapositions. . . angst and worry alongside the joy of a big poetry catch. Five poems to one zine. Congrats. And wonderful that you're on the wave, and balancing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the hospitals--sorry for the family/friends. But congratulations on the poems--acceptances and a fertile winter!

    ReplyDelete