Thursday, April 18, 2013

Vexed

I am continually vexed by color: its opacity, density, translucency. Blues are the most persnickety, greens are the most agreeable. Red is a constant mystery. Is it yellow I want, or is it gold? And what happens with any of these when I paint it onto sandblasted glass, which possesses its own translucent/opaque persona? Zinc white adds depth, but refuses to blend properly.

And light vs. shadow, direct-under-the-lamp light vs. natural light: every shift of light alters what it is I see when I'm attempting to paint a piece of glass.

And, of course, there is my own particular mood.

And the depth of the blast on the glass, where a millimeter variation can greatly influence paint application.

And the grit in the sandblaster: fresh and new? Or old and spent?

There are bad paint days, especially bad black paint days, usually at the week's end, when it's time to knock off and let my weary fingers/hands/arms/shoulders take a rest.

Patience, I tell myself.

Love the glass.
Love the paint.
(Follow my own advice.)

Happy almost-weekend.



5 comments:

  1. Lady Magnon spent several years painting watercolour landscapes with Emerald Green. It nearly drove me mad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have a terrific and relaxing weekend in whichever manner or manners is what you want most.

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the specificity and nuance of this! So eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post. Color vexes me too, and enchants me. I thought of this when I read your words:

    http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2010/October/SaussuresCyanometer.asp

    I don't see anything crazy about a lifetime devoted to the scientific exploration of how many blues there are in the sky, of recording all the colors and hues visible to the human eye. It makes me happy to think of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, what a wonderful article! The notion of measuring "blueness" really thrills me. There was a time in my life where I desired only blue flowers in my garden — and it was a challenge!

      I am enchanted by Saussure's quest — both scientific and with an eye to art. When science and art intersect, that's where real magic happens.

      Thank you.

      xT.

      Delete