Friday, August 29, 2014

Bee Gone

There are dead hornets lined up on my kitchen window sill, dozens of them, finally given up after visit #4 from George the Bee Man who wreaked his havoc with poison powders. It all makes me a little nauseous. Who gave me the right to authorize this small-scale (in the scheme of things)
hornet-ocide? More aware than ever of the delicate balance in which we reside on this planet, tipping as we all are to certain annihilation.

This was brought to mind this week, as we dumped trash at work into plastic sacks:


The journey of trash, coming soon to an ocean near you.

Remember when litter on the side of the road was a big issue?

But back to the hymenoptera who were munching away at my sheetrock, constructing their exquisite and alien-looking condominium development in my crawlspace. It came down to them vs. my house. And I won, I guess, seeing as we didn't seem to be able to co-exist without doing each other harm. And, well, I'm bigger.

Not a sting to be had, though.

I'm thinking that perhaps a hornet funeral is in the works for this weekend.

8 comments:

  1. Our Figs are now ripening, and the Hornets have arrived to gorge themselves of the sugar. I'll have to make some traps TODAY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes we need to mitigate dangers from stinging insects. would you allow a grizzly bear to reside in your living room? I think not.

    Perhaps we could turn those islands of trash into floating communities? I'll bet there's someone working on it.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, I would not allow a grizzly bear to reside in my living room.

      As for the trash, well, I think it will only continue to be a problem, getting bigger and bigger as we continue to weigh the planet down with our sheer numbers and the sum total of what we throw away.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Oh, lord. I've got a dying baby squirrel on my front squirrel even as I read this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, what did you end up doing with it? I had four of them once fall from a nest during a summer windstorm, and I brought them to a wildlife rehab center. They said they had about 30 of them there at the time!

      Delete
    2. As you might have read on my blog, the baby squirrel disappeared, hopefully to its mother but perhaps to a predator. I just didn't have it in me to rescue -- tried for a bit to contact someone who might do the job, but I didn't have much luck.

      Delete