2. I once gave a poetry reading on Valentine's Day, and only read poems that contained the word "love". Fourteen poems. Paul was there -- we'd only just begun to date -- and the reading was hosted by one of my bakery customers with whom I'd gone out a few times.
3. When I was newly widowed, I received, at the bakery, a bouquet of tulips with a card signed "from one of your admirers".
4. I've always coveted those lapel pins with an outline of a heart in red rhinestones.
5. Heart-shaped, iced sugar-cookies are sublime.
6. My son Nelson, at age four, for shoes wore only a pair of red cowboy boots.
7. Those old valentines, where you had to cut out and glue the envelopes? Bad idea.
8. Valrhona 85% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate + a glass of Ruby Port = Heaven.
9. When I say "Happy VD" I want to hear you clap.