Wednesday, June 12, 2013

A Bright Spark Amidst Gloom

This week, Cascadia Review is publishing one poem of mine every day from Monday through Friday. You can check them out here.

And....tonight I actually received a fan letter! A FAN LETTER!! From the poet Henry Carlile! Here's the link to his page at the Poetry Foundation website: click here.

Needless to say, this certainly made my day. I've been slumping around these past few weeks, adrift in melancholy, mastering the art of moping. I can hear my mother say "Snap out of it!"

Sure, Mom. I'll get right on it.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, T. This is wonderful. (And what did Henry Carlile say? What did he say? No surprise, really, to find he read - as in studied - Theodore Roethke!).

    I find these lines of his searing -

    ". . . I have heard a racing driver tell of hurling his
    life through sudden turns so fast
    he lost himself in stillness,
    became a cipher on the tachometer,
    the blurred shape of a bird in a dream of trees.

    And diving we find a rapture in the depths
    when perceiving our immortality we tear off masks
    and glide naked and glistening to our deaths. "
    (from Endurances by Henry Carlile)

    It's not so easy just to 'snap out of it' --- you seem to me to have a remarkable capacity to find the shimmer in amongst the shadows. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woot! This is exciting! I am going to click on over there --

    ReplyDelete