Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Daily Spider Sweep

Does anyone else have this problem?
Every morning I go through the house
with a broom aimed at the intersection
of wall and ceiling (in every room),
sweeping clear the accumulated arachnids.
Sometimes I'll release them outside,
sometimes I just do them in. The very
dark, insidious, chunky Giant House Spiders
meet death at my hands at every opportunity.
I have tried, again and again, to make peace
with these creatures, and they are welcome
in my garden. (Although I am not fond
of the nets they string each night
outside my front door and down
the front steps.) But I have not invited them
into my house, nor do I ever intend to.
They are especially fond of the basement
of this built-in-1908 house, inhabiting
sorted piles of laundry beside the washer.
I avoid my basement after sunset.

4 comments:

  1. ack! I am never safe from spider talk.
    ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack! ack!

    and yes, I killed one this evening.

    and then had a stiff drink.

    I'm such a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are all living under my sofa, and I found out that Daniel is afraid of them. He views this as an entirely logical response. I keep hoping that Gilbert the Amazingly Energetic Kitten will get them (and that they won't get him).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Tis the mating season, September. Think that you have my allotment of spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am quite will to share this surfeit of spiders with whomsoever desires them....I'll even deliver.

    ReplyDelete