Monday, October 8, 2012

Okay, Cupid

These days working with just one other person calls for dramatic stories to perk up the table time. Apparently, it's one of my primary job descriptions. And by god, I do my best.

Which brings us, again, to that pesky online dating.

Things had gotten a little stale recently, not a lot of hits, no "action" to speak of.

So I switched out my profile pic to one, um, slightly more provocative.

Well.

Let's just say things have started to percolate mightily. (But, puh-leeze, spare me from the twenty-something boys who are entertaining their MILF fantasies.)

Humor abounds, though, as always, and to keep "my" men straight (perhaps straight isn't the best word choice but I'll leave it just for nuance), I quickly create a "user name", so-to-speak, for each of them. Something short and easy to remember.

For example:
1. There was "Music Man", who turned out to be a redneck (not much of a music man at all) (mainly a lot of puffed-up self-aggrandizing) and who talked at length about buying chicken breasts in bulk and individually packaging them in his Food Saver packs. Fascinating. I'm going to rename him "Frozen Chicken Breast Man".

2. "Bad Poetry Man". Advice: NEVER tell someone you're a poet on your first date. Within minutes of my arriving home after said date, a "poem" from Bad Poetry Man appeared in my inbox. Sweet, I suppose, but no. NO.

3. "Cat Scratch Man": I should've taken my own advice re: "Bad Poetry Man".

4. "Tiny Hands Man" — besides possessing the smallest hands I've ever seen on a man, he spoke at length about a book (unpublished) his sister wrote about an 11th century pope. At. Length. (The second glass of wine helped, but not enough.)

5. A man who was so dull he didn't even earn a user name. He never looked at me and he asked me nothing about myself. Bad Hawaiian print shirt, tucked-in, pants hiked up waaaaay too high. Oy.

6. "Architect Man" said, "Redwoods are sentient beings." (Need I say more?)

7. "Screamer". See here.

Waiting in the wings (first face-to-face still to be scheduled) are "Drummer Man" and "Clown Man".

Could life get any more thrilling/fascinating/titillating than this?

God help me, it certainly better.

(And, for the record, none of these men know my full name or have any knowledge whatsoever of this blog.)









6 comments:

  1. you crack me up! at least these dreadful experiences make for good blog fodder, yes?

    and I would strongly recommend that even after you have launched what you think may be a sure bet, that you don't mention your blog. I have declared my girlfriend on my FB and now wish I hadn't. If we don't work out, it's going to be awkward removing her from my "In Relationship" section. Wish I'd never done it. Ack, social media! Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The perils of mature people dating and the new brave frontiers of cyberspace. At least you are keeping your sense of humour well and truely intact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, dear. Too many by far. Meld them together, call them the lump sum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your anonymity holds. This is courage above and beyond. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely want to keep their lack of knowledge exactly that too!

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. maybe it depends on the members of the dating sites. I got into this friendsreunited co uk dating site, seems nice, so far.

    ReplyDelete