Monday, June 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Mary!

Mary is my oldest sister, the first of six girls
after my only brother. She takes great pride
in the fact that she named me:
story is that a friend of my mom came to the
hospital to see the new baby, as yet unnamed,
or, at least that's what my parents thought.
Apparently, Mary -- age 10 -- had told her
friends on the playground at St. Anthony's School
that her new sister was named after Saint Thérèse
of the Little Flower --



So, of course, one of these school-mates went home
and reported this to her mother,
and this mother visited my mother and told her
what a lovely name her new baby had!

Indeed. I think I was supposed to be Barbara,
patron saint of artillerymen:



If I had to choose between the two names,
I 'd grudgingly choose Thérèse, even though
it's rarely pronounced correctly.
(Thus: T.)

My name is not:
Theash
Trish
Trace
Tracy
Treece
Theresa
Teresa
Terse
Threrse
Terace
Tress
Thereece

If you're still with me in this very
self-indulgent post, click here for an example
of the correct pronunciation.

But I digress.
Today is Mary's birthday, and I'm wishing her
many, many more on this planet!

5 comments:

  1. Terez it is. I never knew that was your name. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, ha!
    Oh and by the way, my name is NOT spelled Pauly, or Paulie, or Pollie...ugh.
    Just call me Ima.
    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to sister Mary. She chose a lovely name for you. Does she by any chance remember why she chose that particular name, or that particular saint?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Mary! BTW, I for one could happily keep clicking on "Arnaud, male, in France" correctly pronouncing Therese de Lisieux all day! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete