Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ireland!

Sloggy, sluggish, snoozy.
The usual air-travel complaints, yet I will never fail
to be amazed that a tin tube (okay, so it's not tin,
but I like the alliteration) can elevate hundreds
of humans into the sky. And remain there,
in the troposphere, for hours on end.
It's 4:43am Seattle time, 12:43pm Irish time.
On a bit of a jag. Need to come down.

A sparrow on the patio is holding a black & orange
striped snail in its beak and banging it repeatedly
on the concrete: lunch.

Jack-the-dog, across the cove, didn't race to greet us
this time. His puppy-crazy days are over, apparently.
He seems to be more interested in his Sunday
afternoon nap.

If I go to sleep now I'll be awake all this Irish-night-to-come.
What to do? The afternoon looms, a drawn-out yawn.
Topsy-turvy night and day....

Each time I arrive in Carrowholly, I am stunned
by the fact of my being here, and by the absolute
beauty of the countryside.

9 comments:

  1. Hope you & K have a great time-- sounds lovely (jet lag aside!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! I do wish I were there with you (well, not with you necessarily, since I don't know you from Adam), but just there, once more. (It's been 15 years.) It's my place too--my ancestry-- a bit like home.

    This was great! Go and prod Jack with your foot. He needs to get up and be with you and not waste a minute in the beautiful countryside!

    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'I am stunned
    by the fact of my being here, and by the absolute
    beauty of the countryside."

    Your 'wonder' is felt and your joy is shared - a moment to frolic in the beauty of the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you two! I am missing you already! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a brilliant time. Ireland is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be sharing your jet lag if not your Irish scenery in three days. You don't make me look forward to that part of travel. A perfect evocation of the just arrived sense of dislocation and confusion. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be sharing your jet lag if not your Irish scenery in three days. You don't make me look forward to that part of travel. A perfect evocation of the just arrived sense of dislocation and confusion. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a wonderful time (after your jag). I've always wondered at that big heavy metal tube getting up there - so heavy. Just the other day I was in awe at the way the cockatoos took off with a few flutters of feathers....

    Thanks for sharing Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poetikat -- thanks for stopping by!
    Ireland is unquestionably a great place.

    ReplyDelete