Wednesday, August 17, 2011

I'm not making this up....

Tara, an old friend blogging at Out of the Lotus commented,

I have read that the hummingbird is a symbol of resurrection, T. Try that one on for size.

So during lunch today I googled "hummingbird resurrection" on my iPhone, and happened upon this marvelous piece from the NYTimes by Diane Ackerman, who writes,

"...in American Indian myths and legends, hummingbirds are often depicted as resurrection birds, which seem to die and be reborn on another day or in another season."

Well then.

And a little further on,

"While most birds are busy singing a small operetta of who and what and where, hummingbirds are virtually mute. Such small voices don't carry far, so they don't bother much with song."

Why was I so lucky to hear that tiny rattly trill?

Fast forward:

I left work early to get ready for sis-in-law-Shelley's memorial, and while the iron was heating up (so I could press those insistent wrinkles from a linen dress), I charged down to the basement where most of my books still lie packed in boxes, looking for Making Certain It Goes On, The Collected Poems of Richard Hugo, looking for a poem to read in Shelley's memory.

She and I shared a passion for poetry, and when I married her brother Mark, back in the last millennium, she read The Trout, by Hugo, at the ceremony -- an odd choice, which still perplexes me. We gave her full rein to choose something to read, and for some reason never asked why she chose that particular poem. Who knows? I'll never know now. (It doesn't matter now.)

But I veered here somehow, somewhere, from a funeral to a wedding....

Back to business: I had about four minutes to find the book I desired, and was thanking myself for organizing this stuff last week when I went in search of my jewelry (found!). BUT NO RICHARD HUGO. Rats!

Lots of small press stuff, lots of Floating Bridge Press stuff, lots of Copper Canyon Press stuff.....lots of poetry, but not what I was looking for. Running short on time, I grabbed Raymond Carver's A New Path to the Waterfall -- his last book, published posthumously, in 1989. Ran up two flights of stairs, ironed my dress, combed my hair and sat down on the bed, for, what? Ten seconds? And the book opened to this poem (which I ended up reading at the memorial):

Hummingbird
for Tess

Suppose I say summer,
write the word "hummingbird,"
put it in an envelope,
take it down the hill
to the box. When you open
my letter you will recall
those days, and how much,
just how much, I love you.

---

Is there anything else to say here?
Well, yes there is.

In the midst of writing this blog piece, my email dinged, indicating some new mail. From my friend Cz., with a link about -- yes -- hummingbirds, including these words:

In many traditional cultures of the western world the hummingbird has powerful religious and spiritual significance. In the high Andes of South America, for example, the hummingbird is taken to be a symbol of resurrection. This is because each hummer becomes lifeless and seems to die on cold nights, but it comes back to life again when the miraculous sunrise brings warmth.


I'm gobsmacked.
And on the lookout for that sunrise.

9 comments:

  1. We have no Hummingbirds here, but we do have Hummingbird Hawk Moths, which are also rather mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic!
    and the Carver piece is heart-breaking. perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...to it all.
    (heart blown wide open - again.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. More hummingbirds.

    http://www.salterylodge.com/blog/taming-alaska-hummingbirds/

    And the poem is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you just witnessed that sunrise, T.....in the telling from the Universe. It is ALWAYS trying to tell us but we rarely have time or the inclination to listen.
    This posting made me cry....so endearing.
    Ima Hapiforu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my god. I'm gobsmacked vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, maybe the hummingbird is your totem animal?

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remain more than gob-smacked at the entirety of your life immersion in the world of signs and portents!

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear T
    I'm mid-watching/listening to a remarkable earth-healing ceremony on the web; in it, a North American Indian man turns to the four corners of the earth and calls forth the energies of their representative symbols/energies. This is (more-or-less) what he says when he focuses on the North - ". . . we invoke the presence of the golden hummingbird to be present in our lives, to bring the nectar of love into our hearts, to manifest the energy of healing, to transform us. . . to activate unconditional love, to bring the nectar of wisdom into our brain, to realize our path in humanity at this time. . . "

    He names the symbols for the four corners of our earth as The Constellation of the Llama in the South (prosperity, respect for the earth), The Milky Way (or cosmic serpent - to activate our magnetic center for healing) in the West, the Golden Hummingbird in the North (unconditional love and wisdom) and the Golden Condor in the East (to teach us how to ascend on wings of power and freedom). . .

    Here's a link to another endearing story about the hummingbird (Mayan). . .

    http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/Gift_To_The_Hummingbird-Mayan.html

    Precious hummingbirds. . . I encountered my first two when I was over the States in May and was similarly alerted, moved, opened. . . They are surely telling us all something, T.

    Much love
    Claire xo

    ReplyDelete