Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Some Lines From Raymond Carver

"And did you get what
you wanted from this life, even so?
I did.
And what did you want?
To call myself beloved, to feel myself
beloved on the earth. "

"Dreams, you know, are what you wake up from."

"I've crossed some kind of invisible line. I feel as if I've come to a place I never thought I'd have to come to. And I don't know how I got here. It's a strange place. It's a place where a little harmless dreaming and then some sleepy, early-morning talk has led me into considerations of death and annihilation."

"Honey, no offense, but sometimes I think I could shoot you and watch you kick."

"there isn't enough of anything
as long as we live. But at intervals
a sweetness appears and, given a chance
prevails. "

"But I can hardly sit still. I keep fidgeting, crossing one leg and then the other. I feel like I could throw off sparks, or break a window--maybe rearrange all the furniture."

"Booze takes a lot of time and effort if you're going to do a good job with it."

---

(I always come to RC when the depths are unfathomly deep. He gives a shape to, gives definition to that which is unshapeable, undefinable.)

4 comments:

  1. I didn't realize that the first passage was Carver's. Where is it from? I've heard it so many times but can't "place" it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. E., I first read it in his Collected Poems, a book I kept by my bed after the death of my first husband. (And is now packed in a box, somewhere -- I don't know where. Somewhere in my house.)

    And now I've just read that it appears on his gravestone at Ocean View Cemetery in Port Angeles, Washington.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are not done grieving and that's okay........
    Ima

    ReplyDelete