Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Midnight Janitors

An ex-lover bought my ex-husband's house. And invited me over, to help him do dishes. And I was barefoot.

This didn't really happen, of course, except when I was deep in a rapid-eye-movement slumber. According  Maria Konnikova, in the NYTimes (read the complete article here), As your body sleeps, your brain is quite actively playing the part of mental janitor: It’s clearing out all of the junk that has accumulated as a result of your daily thinking.

In this particularly unsettling dream/nightmare,  I can't help but wonder just what, upstairs, was getting scoured.

And now a glorious dawn sun has penetrated the omnipresent mist; and while I feel illuminated, in a bodily sense, my nighttime subconscious rompings have left my awake self feeling quite less than illuminated, and more than a bit betrayed by the midnight janitors of the brain.

6 comments:

  1. What a provocative post -- it inspires me to take more stock of the janitors in my own brain. I hope your dream hangover dissipates --

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the dream hangover dissipated, only to be replaced by another one where we went to Arkansas and got married. Oy. Veh.

      Delete
  2. I love it, "The midnight janitors of the brain." Though unsettling, this dream is helping you along in your process. Emotions know no time, it's all as if it were happening now. Trust it. You're getting clear, Ms. Clear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the endless possibilities those two words convey: midnight janitors.
    the midnight janitors union
    the midnight janitors ball
    the midnight janitors meatball sandwich
    the midnight janitors poetry group....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, this made me laugh! Especially the meatball sandwich. Tee hee. The midnight janitors laundromat. The midnight janitors o.k. corral.

      Delete