Monday, February 13, 2012

Day of Hearts

I should get out measuring cups, the teaspoon and the mixer. The butter and vanilla, the sugar, the flour. If there was more inspiration, I'd mix a batter, set it to chill. Rummage for the heart-shaped cutter which broke once (and a welder-friend soldered it whole). (A broken heart cannot really be soldered, can it?)

I'd cut row upon row of delicate hearts, bake them on parchment upon aluminum sheets. Twelve minutes, maybe thirteen. Until browned at the edges.

(A neglected heart will burn.)

How long does it really take for a heart to be done?

Cooled, I'd line them up in neat rows, drizzle icing in jagged streaks, sprinkle with the smallest nonpareil.

I might even bring you a boxful -- if you ask.

6 comments:

  1. Tara, ha ha. I lied. But I WILL send you your cups tomorrow!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, fellow baker, a happy Valentine's Day to you!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite expect someone will be knocking at your door, very soon, wanting to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Worth the journey, I'd have thought. Expect my knock anytime soonish.

    ReplyDelete