Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Last Sunset....

Alas, this good thing is drawing to a close. This has been a life-altering experience. All my life
Hawaii has been a cliche-destination, and I chose -- for many years -- to pursue destinations to the east of the Pacific Northwest. It took me half a century to finally plunk myself down on this outcropping of volcanic rock that makes up the 50th United State, and it is with despair that I must depart in the morning. I could remain here for the rest of my life and watch waves pound the shore, in as many shades of blue that the eye can imagine. What is it about a breaking wave that is so compulsively captivating? Is it a primal urge that is satisfied at some point along the arc of water and force and roiling foam? Perhaps. And then, perhaps it's better left unanalyzed, better left taken for what it is: you decide. All I know is that something broke loose in me this week, became dislodged in that unnamed grey matter of the brain, leaving in its wake new pathways to the sea, much as lava forges its own fiery metamorphic passage.



7 comments:

  1. yup. you got it. the hawaii bug wiggles it's way into your soul and your done for.
    i've so enjoyed your posts from the island! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a writer friend who lives on the Big Island, as in permenently.

    She loves it, though it is very far away from everything, and very expensive to go anywhere and to live too. Her spouse though works for the military, traveling the world looking for the remains of MIAs of U.S. wars, so she gets to travel quite bit.

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, especially those twilight pictures.

    Wishing you a safe return and more beauty,
    Mim

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always a treat when the land works its magic on us... thanks for allowing us to participate in your pleasures, T. Clear.

    Safe journey home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blog friends, thanks for the wonderful comments. I'm back home and it's a chilly 42 degrees. Seattle. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating post!
    Take care not to catch a cold.

    ReplyDelete