We had this soup for dinner tonight, and it
Creamy Southwestern Pumpkin Soup
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
* 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 5 cups chicken broth
* 1 large baking potato, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
* 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
* 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
* 2 cups milk
* 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
* Garnishes: sour cream, fresh cilantro sprig
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion,
jalapeño pepper, and garlic; sauté 15 minutes.
Add chicken broth and next 4 ingredients, and cook,
stirring often, 30 minutes or until potato is tender.
Remove from heat, and let cool slightly (about 5 to 10 minutes).
Process potato mixture, pumpkin, and cilantro, in batches,
in a food processor or blender until smooth,
stopping to scrape down sides.
Return to Dutch oven; stir in milk, and simmer 10 minutes
or until thoroughly heated. Stir in lime juice.
Southern Living, OCTOBER 2003