Sunday, January 25, 2009




Heartless

Nearly every year, a long-dead major music personage gets exhumed in the interests of science. Last year it was Frederic Chopin, who died at 39 in 1849, reportedly of tuberculosis. Some researchers want to test Chopin's heart, to find out whether he really died of cystic fibrosis. The Polish government demurs. The heart, preserved in a jar of cognac, rests in a Warsaw church. (The rest of Chopin rests in Paris.)


I visited Chopin's grave in Paris.
I didn't know his heart wasn't in it.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha! This is like Rebecca's story of Schubert buried without his head. What is going on?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a parody here, I'm sure. "I left my heart in a bottle of Remy Martin..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be barred from blogspot for that joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this bottle empty yet? Waiting for some new blogging from you T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. K: the highest compliment!

    Pamela: yes ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Collin -- only if I can get Tony Bennett to sing it for me: "He left his heart/in Remy Martin..."

    ReplyDelete