Saturday, January 3, 2009

With the New Year comes a desire for a bit of remodeling.
I finally figured out how to enlarge the size of my font,
how to change some colors. The new picture on my header
is a detail from a painting by my son Nelson, which hangs
above my piano.

Snow remains in gritty heaps, but sunlight
makes them sparkle, so all is not ugly.
I'm fascinated by how the snow-piles melt,
creating their own soft sculptures.

More than resolutions when the year turns,
I always remind myself of the innumerable things
for which I give thanks, and so often
these are elemental things:
my children
my husband
my sisters, both actual and honorary
my friends: poets, artists, neighbors, family, workmates
shelter
food
wine
sunlight
cats
language
health
humor
work
What have I forgotten? Who have I left out?
All of you faithful readers: I extend to you
my gratitude and my affection.

Not one of these things is a given, or taken for granted.
(When my boys were little, they used to say:
"taken for granite."
Be assured that I take none of you for granite!)

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Dearest T,
    I love it that you've noticed these strange sooty heaps lying around, especially in parking lots, like ancient wind-eaten lumps of limestone blasted by exhaust and melting ever so slowly. They are just too cool!
    Hugs from Robin PS I try not to take them for granite!

    ReplyDelete