Friday, February 27, 2009

Yum.

If you live in the Seattle area, you must try Molly Moon's
ice cream. They are located in Wallingford, but various
restaurants carry it, and mine was from Flying Squirrel Pizza.
(Also recommended -- fantastic pizza in Seward Park.)
I tasted the vanilla bean and the salted caramel. The vanilla
bean, my favorite flavor of all ice creams, was lovely and rich,
not too sweet. The salted caramel was intense and darkly
caramelly -- I cut it a bit with the vanilla for a better balance.

Homemade ice cream is so easy to make these days.
It used to be such a production, even with the electric
ice-and-salt machine. (I've not had the pleasure
of experiencing a hand-crank device.) My favorite
as a child was peach, which my mother made
at the height of peach season. A few birthdays ago
R. made me some pear-cardamom: OMG it was amazing.
And in my pre-mothering madcap twenties
M. and I made ice cream whenever it snowed:
our chilly little ritual.

1 comment:

  1. I've not had home made ice cream since I was a little girl. My father used to make it - always vanilla; amazing taste. It was absolutely nothing like "boughten" products.

    More tantalizing a post I cannot imagine.

    ReplyDelete