Monday, August 3, 2009

Tesco Spy Mission #3

Notice the second ingredient here:



This puts a new spin on the question
I was asked at the bakery once:
"Is there meat in these cupcakes"
I could've answered,
"No, but there's stork!"
Needless to say, I was quite confused
when I saw this ingredient on a scone
at the local farmer's market. And the
vendor was an old battle axe of a woman
who was glaring down at my camera, so I
didn't bother to ask her about the "stork."

And then I discovered this at the grocery store:



Aha! A butter-like product! Suitable for baking!
Contains no actual stork or stork by-products!

And so the cultural exploration continues.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. That would be disturbing. Not only was there stork in the recipe, but it was second on the ingredients list - not just a few bits of diced stork for flavour, but a whole lot of stork! I'm glad you solved the mystery.

    I'm reminded of when I told my sister, who had never visited England before, that we needed to pick up some Fairy liquid at the market. I can still see the look on her face. ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, um, well, yes, that explains everything - NOW! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, but could it be a kind of "perfect for pastry" lard? Perhaps when pigs fly?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You've just solved a mystery I've pondered since my teens, the lyrics of a "Crazy Arthur Brown" song, "Spontaneous Apple Creation":

    "And the cloud grew green and pushed out a stalk
    And the chairs grew swing boots and started to walk
    And the strong silent ones began to talk
    And three million people told butter from Stork"

    ReplyDelete