Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cooler nights, and the temps drop a degree or two
each day, but still the afternoons blaze in October light.
I made my first chicken stock of the season yesterday,
a long slow simmer on a back burner. If a scent can be
golden -- can we assign color to how something smells?
(may I?) -- then this was lit up with gold light: onion,
celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, carrots, parsley and all
the bits and bobs of the roasted fowl. It cooled overnight
in the fridge, and today I'll skim the congealed fat from
the surface and we'll have us some chicken & noodles.
This not fancy cooking, but for my money,
it's as good as it gets.

5 comments:

  1. Absolutely we can assign color to smells and aromas.

    We do to sounds too.

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well for that matter, I've assigned colors to numbers since I was just a wee one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've assigned a gender to all the letters of the alphabet since I was wee....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gender? Now, that's cool. I think it's the celery that turns the smell of chicken stock golden. Without celery, I suspect it might be a little brassy. ;>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love homemade chicken soup....do you use a fresh, unroasted carcass or leftovers? I have a friend who swears only fresh - but I can't tell the difference.

    ReplyDelete