Monday, November 23, 2009

Name! That! Child!

My friend Cz. works in a children's hospital, where she
has encountered numerous, er, shall I say, interesting
children's names. And because we share this fascination
of uncommon monikers she sent me this list:

Knowledge.
Fitsum.
Queen.
True.
9. (And no way is that Nine. It is 9. Be very clear on that,
and be mad mad mad parents if the naming program
does not provide a numeric option.)
Justice.
Bethsy.
Lezania.
Omahoney.
Agate.
Azure.

She pointed out that Omahoney was not pronounced
Oh! muh Hoe Knee (or O'Mahoney, which was my edit)
but Oh! muh honey! With the last name of Doll.
Go ahead -- say it! Omahoney Doll! Yes!

Omygod! Or, rather, O'M'God! Or perhaps just OMG.

Honestly.

9 comments:

  1. Well, I must say it's not far from how I named a kitten once, as you remember: Hickety for "here kitty".

    So.

    good thing I didn't have kids, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calling the cat: "Hickety!"

    Calling the kid: Hickiddy!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently worked with a fella who had changed his name to Ix. His listing in the corporate address book was "Ix [IT'S PRONOUNCED 'NINE']".

    ReplyDelete
  4. My son went to school with a girl with the unfortunate name of Urina. Every time he said I'd say WHAT?

    ReplyDelete
  5. RK: pronounced Urr-eena or Yure-eena?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still wondering about Fitsum......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ima, Fitsum and her brothers Flotsam and Jetsom.

    ReplyDelete