Thursday, June 16, 2011

Life in the City

Tonight there was the gift of a walk at Seward Park -- a glorious 300-acre city-forest occupying a peninsula on Lake Washington, a half mile from my house.

My friend C. and I traversed the temperate rainforest of the interior, on the lookout for baby owls. We spotted three juveniles, who keened and swooped about our heads, doing that extraordinary head-rotation-thing while perched, fluffing their baby feathers.

Periodically, a pileated woodpecker struck its beak against a tall snag, the sound resonating deeply and melodically in the hollow trunk. Crows harassed an eagle above the treetops.

The air smelled green -- can something contain the scent of a color?

Our path twisted and curved through glens of ferns, on boardwalks above marshes, through a grove of old-growth firs -- everything thickly draped in moss.

It's been at least four years since I walked these woods, and I felt as if I had come home, home to an enchantment that's been locked in a keyless closet for far too long.

I am the key.
The closet is this life.
The door is open.

6 comments:

  1. Here the air often LOOKS and SMELLS green. I know exactly what you mean.

    Our owls are much more secretive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful...thanks for sharing your walk with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely to read this, T. so affirming; for those of us who have been sharing your story, this feels like the beginning of a long sigh of relief... you're going to be just fine.
    xo
    susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh T! Wonderful post! Sounds like you are yourself again!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. As we packed up the house in Florida a couple of weeks ago a couple of pileated woodpeckers kept banging their beaks against the front door...the same night I dreamed a large while owl came and sat on my head while I slept...strange stuff this animal imagery...

    ReplyDelete