Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A little magic....

Some years back, for Mother's Day my boys gave me
a beautiful pair of earrings with sapphires mined
in Montana. They quickly became my favorites,
and I wore them all the time. Then one disappeared --
When the errant gem had been gone for about a month,
I was pulling up in front of the house one early evening
after work, and saw a large white rabbit on the parking strip.
I got out of the car, squatted down to the rabbit's level,
and started talking to it. No, the rabbit did not
talk back. But as I lingered there I noticed something
shiny stuck between the pebbles of the aggregate.
Sure enough, there was the earring setting, but no
stone. It was tarnished and slightly bent, being, as it
was, in the direct path of any vehicle passing over it
to go into my driveway. And then I saw the sapphire,
also wedged between pebbles. I pried it up -- it had
a few tiny scratches, but was otherwise intact.
I polished up the silver, super-glued the gem into place,
and -- voilĂ  -- I was back in business. And the rabbit?
Never saw it again.

7 comments:

  1. That is an excellent short-short story.

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent!

    i have lost and found earrings. but never has a rabbit helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story! I reminds me of the time I found my grandmothers diamond. I so love that magic lives. I gives me great comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A white wabbit! WUV it!

    I also love the new picture....so pretty are you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story because it features two of my favorite things: jewelry and rabbits! I did a quick search and according to this site http://crystal-cure.com/rabbit.html, the rabbit is a symbol of vigilance. Never knew that...

    When I was in my 20's I had a pet rabbit named Miss Bun. She was brown and liked to sit on the sofa with me. She expired, poor thing, in the god-awful heat of a Lubbock summer.

    I still miss Miss Bun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all for your very kind comments!

    Nita: Miss Bun sounds like a librarian-character out of a childrens' story.

    ReplyDelete