Friday, March 5, 2010

etc.

It's Friday and the lingering headache has finally made its exit. A headache with little prickly barbs. I looked at a strand of wool under a microscope once and discovered the reason for the itch: barbs. Everywhere: barbs. That's what the mal à la tête was. Wool under a microscope.

Comfort food this week: roasted chicken, chicken pot pie, chicken and pappardelle with celery and parsley in a bechemel sauce. I asked P. why is it that I cook dinners that require the use of nearly every pan/plate/bowl in the kitchen, and he said that he's asked himself that very question many times. (He who helps with the dishes.) If I don't cook when I get home from work, I get antsy, nervous. Need to chop/stir/saute. IMHO, P. is one lucky guy.

My mother, in her day, would make a cold dessert-like dish, like "Frozen Cranberry Salad" which contained fresh (and then frozen!) cranberries, walnuts, Cool Whip, among other things. She pressed it into a loaf pan, froze it, de-panned it, sliced it and then placed it on a leaf of lettuce and called it Salad. My question: if I bake a butter cake, slather on some ganache, sprinkle it with some toasted walnuts, then place a slice of it on a leaf of lettuce and call it Cake Salad, does it count as a vegetable? Just wondering. Always on the lookout for New Ways With Cake.

7 comments:

  1. I can see "Cake Salad" on the menu of the trendiest NYC restaurants (perhaps the same one that put Swanson's TV dinners on the menu).

    P. is indeed lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't forget the sprig of parsley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in France we often eat savoury cakes. These usually contain bacon 'lardons' and olives. They are surprisingly delicious. I'm sure the net will provide recipes.

    Bisou, Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear T. I've only just found your quote from Brendan Gill 'Rules one and two'. Another goody. I like the sentiment of trying not to hurt anyone on the way. An important aim. Thank you.

    Bisou, Cro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wool under a microscope!
    barbs! of course, exactly what it feels like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grand on the headache finally departing.

    On that gratitude for consistently marvelous, intelligent, creative and o so delicious meals -- ditto my spouse, o he's so lucky. ha! :)

    The take off from your soup recipe was most successful, by the way ....

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  7. C., I've been meaning to ask you about the soup. Glad it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete