Sunday, February 24, 2013

Vegging should be spelled "vedging".

I snipped a bowlful of rainbow chard tonight in the 5:30 dusk, sauteed it up with onions, garlic, threw in a couple cans of cannelini (canellini?) beans, lots of freshly ground pepper, lemon zest, a squeeze of lemon juice, topped it off with parmesan, some brown rice on the side.

For economic reasons as well as health, I've decided to lean a bit closer to the vegetarian side of things, with nary of complaint. Don't get me wrong — I love a hunk of sizzling cow on the flame, or any slow-roasted pig parts, and fish, and fowl, and and and.....

But I've a refrigerator full of tofu and a cupboard full of beans, and it's all good, every last bit!

3 comments:

  1. hey, we're on the same path....check out The Simple Veganista, she's got some great recipes for making sauces out of soaked cashews, how to make a substitute for parmasan, and lots of good recipes. Your dinner sounds delicious. I'm gonna try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When the weather's warmer, and when fruits and vegetables are plentiful, we (well, it's my choice obviously since I do the shopping, planning and cooking) tend to be almost meatless.

    In the coldest weeks of the year is when we eat the most meat -- even beef, which we hardly ever have -- with lots of hearty red wine in the cooking thereof, as well as along with the eating thereof. :)

    Love, C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Going veggie, yes. Eating tofu, no!

    ReplyDelete