Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Hot off the press, er, the screen....

I'm not a poet into self-hype, self-branding and self-promotion, (which happens far too much online, IMHO), but indulge me a little here...

You can check out my poem "Last Rescued Bird" featured on the New Zealand based blog Tuesday Poem, where Wellington novelist Mary McCallum refers to it as "subversive, using the imperative mood and uncompromising language to attempt to silence the myth of woman as the unquestioning nurturer". Read more here, and read what Graham Beattie, former Managing Director/Publisher of Penguin Books and Scholastic, New Zealand, says about it here.

Cheers!
(And thanks for reading, even all you who never leave a comment. I know who you are.)

11 comments:

  1. A woman needs to nurture, but not when she's that angry. Excellent brevity in your poem-- I could never have described this emotion in a space shorter than 30 pages. thanks, sp

    ReplyDelete
  2. '. . . imperative mood and uncompromising language to silence the myth of woman as the unquestioning nurturer.'

    Way to go, T. Way to go, Mary.

    L, C xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the rescuer of birds, I think you did a pretty good job... Just watch where you swing that axe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great poem, TC - it brought back memories of the countless birds I used to rescue from my hunting cat. (I even tried to bell her so the birds would be warned of her presence but she used to hold the bell still with her chin as she stalked).
    I always love your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, T., on your terrific poem and in being recognized, surely something you and your work deserve. Saying who you are and showing it in your poems--well, that's the 'all' of it, isn't it? And applause heartens one, yes? Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sussah, that's why I'm a poet. Thirty lines is about my maximum. It's all about the distillation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cro, some have gone without rescue. Alas. And you'll be happy to know that the axe has been put to rest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lillyanne, thank-you! Those cats are mighty crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vespersparrow, sometimes I wonder if we as poets do it more for the applause or for the satisfaction of completing a poem? I, for one, know that not writing would be equal to not breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your poem is wonderful and congratulations on the promos!

    I agree entirely with your first para here; I've dropped off several blogs because of it!

    Had to smile; I'm one of those who enjoys reading more than commenting....stats tell you a lot, don't they!

    ReplyDelete