Sunday, June 10, 2012

A Happy-Birthday-Candied-Rose-Petal-Not-Enough-Icing-Confection.

I made a cake today for a birthday and most of it was consumed before there was any notion of documenting its existence. Without enough prior planning, I brain-stormed how to make instant candied rose petals and came up with an acceptable solution in which I sprayed each petal (a rose called "Taboo") with aerosol vegetable oil and then sprinkled all sides with granulated sugar. And after a pound and a half of butter, 10 eggs and countless cups of sugar, I still ended up without enough icing. Not wanting to make another trip to the store, I hurry-scurried a decoration of lemon-balm leaves pressed into the sides of the cake, upright, like a little marching army of mint 'round the cake. The impromptu rose petals, haphazardly scattered atop the French buttercream, looked decidedly intentional. And after countless rounds of Bloody Mary's, martini's, rosé and god knows what else, it all tasted (and looked, dare I say) completely fabulous.


9 comments:

  1. It sounds heavenly, T. Any photos? (Those of us who weren't there to eat it with you need photos!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (for some reason, whenever I try to leave a comment these days, I end up leaving them in triplicate! Sorry ; ))

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a non-sugar-eater, I shall leave you to your pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good to me. And I like your technique!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds divine. I can almost picture it in my imagination, but still wish for a photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As the birthday girl and posessor of one last partial piece of the cake I can only say that it was/is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delish to me.

    I'm the person who is always scraping most of the icing OFF. It's usually just TOO MUCH.

    Mint - what a perfect "cool" cake for hot weather.

    ReplyDelete